Old February 6th 07, 12:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
kevmor

Default VOR volume range

Hmm, does anyone know where this is written? Does that mean if it's
80nm to the change over point from a VOR, and the MEA is 5,000, you
can still use it at that altitude?

On Feb 5, 1:38 pm, "kevmor" wrote:
SAC is a High VOR and the MEA is 4,000. Ok, so if it's published,
then it's known to be ok on the airway. I think I remember reading
now that the volumes don't matter if it's a published procedure like
on an approach plate.

Thanks,
-Kevin

On Feb 5, 1:30 pm, "Ronnie" wrote:

Class H & HW VORs:
Altitude Radius
1,000' to 14,500' 40 NM
14,500' to 18,000' 100NM
18,000 to 45,000' 130NM

Class L & LW VORs:
Altitude Radius
1,000' to 18,000' 40NM

Class T VORs:
Altitude Radius
1,000' to 12,000' 25NM

I can't pull up the L1 / L2 chart or the A/FD right now.
What class VOR is SAC and what is the MEA on that
route? If the MEA is below 14,500' I'd guess that the
route was test flown and shown that reliable coverage
existed out to GRIDD.

Ronnie

"kevmor" wrote in message

ups.com...

I was looking at the L1/L2 chart between RBL (Red Bluff) and SAC
(Sacramento). The change over point is at GRIDD because the airway
changes direction slightly. The only thing is, it shows the DME
distance to GRIDD from SAC as being 55nm. If I'm below 14,500, don't
all VORs have a service volume of 40nm out from the VOR?