Old June 18th 07, 03:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck

Default Gloom

What are they selling that has returned them to profitability?

Apparently the Malibu, Meridian, and Cherokee Six.

I hope the infusion of cash from Honda to build the PiperJet isn't being
called "profit". That would spell the end of the company in a very short
time.

I don't think so. Bass is estimating that the PiperJet will require a
$100 million dollar investment over the next ten years. He also
claims that they can make money selling them from the very first one
-- which, of course, doesn't factor in a return on his investment.

I don't know anymore what to think or do.

Sure, you do. But, denial is a powerful thing. If someone can't spring for
a new $.5M piston single they'll be forced to either buy into a plane with
a very short operative lifetime due to a lack of replacement parts or fold
their tent. I hate to add to the gloom, but the picture has looked bleak
for a couple of years, now. The only hope is that LSA can fill in the gap
between reasonably priced used singles and new planes that are out of
reach for most GA pilots.

I agree, although the cost of LSAs is certainly no bargan. You can
buy a VERY nice Cherokee 140 for half of what the cheapest LSA is
going for nowadays.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA