Old January 17th 10, 08:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tom Gardner

Default Global Warming/Climate Change (was contrails)

On Jan 17, 5:37*am, delboy wrote:
On 8 Jan, 11:20, Tom Gardner wrote:

On Jan 8, 7:59*am, delboy wrote:

On 8 Jan, 06:57, Mark Jardini wrote:

While at one time it was valid to judge what was going on in the whole
world by what was happening in England, those days are passed. Your
local climate has little to say about what is globally in play with
climate. In fact, England should get a good deal colder with the
progression of global warming, the seas will dilute and the saline
gradient that drags warm water to your shores will cease to flow. It
would be catastrophic to many fisheries as well.

Mark Jardini

I did also mention Northern Europe and North America, so I was not
being a little Englander. Northern France and the other European
countries are also having a bad time.

The argument you are putting forward is that sea ice and the snow on
top of it will melt due to global warming and, being lower in salt
content, will dilute the salinity of oceans. In fact I wouldn't be
surprised to see an increase in sea ice this year. These things are
cyclical, and apparently there was little sea ice in the Medieval mini
warm period between the 9th and 13th Centuries. This allowed the
Vikings to settle in Iceland and Greenland. The ones in Greenland were
wiped out by cold weather in the 15th century. See:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Little_Ice_Age

The main reason our weather is so cold at the moment is that the
airmass is coming from the cold north-east polar regions due to a
blocking anticyclone, rather than from the more normal, more
temperate, south-west direction.

Derek Copeland

Don't forget Mark's second point, which appears to be the more
significant in the long term. If the Gulf Stream shuts down then
olar bears will roam London (same latitude as Churchill in
Canada), presuming they haven't become extinct beforehand - Hide quoted text -

After a month in a mini ice age, the UK winter weather has become its
normal mild and moist self, so the Gulf Stream must still be working.
So sorry polar bears, your habitat range won't be extending to the
British Isles yet!

Derek Copeland

I wrote nothing whatsoever that would justify your comment,
nor did I imply it.

Your attempt to associate me with such ignorant concepts
(not knowing the difference between climate and weather)
is offensive. *Please do not do it again*.

Unfortunately this kind of misrepresentation and
cherry-picking data appears to be all too prevalent
in the denialist community. Anybody reading your
comments with an open mind would start to doubt your
sincerity. It does the denialist cause no good whatsoever.