Old January 29th 18, 01:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Hard Deck

I'm opposing any hard-deck rule. I have been competing with mixed results in gliders since 1996 and I started a CD "career" 4 years ago.
Under a hard deck rule, a pilot who finds himself low will struggle to judge whether he's going to reach a promising hot spot while still on a valid score. He may have to divert to a less than ideal and maybe more uncertain thermal source (lots to complain after the flight).

If in any case he will break through the hard deck, he'll be delusional. That won't stop him from trying to avoid the inconvenience of the retrieve. If he manages to climb out, more he will have reasons to complain against the rule.

On the other hand, I'm totally in favour of the remote finish, high finish gate or finish ring. There are negative factors as well (less lookout and more instrument focus, slow and erratic flying close to the finush), but the balance is in my opinion largely in favour of the high finish line.

Aldo Cernezzi