Old May 25th 19, 12:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_6_]

Default LXNAV S100 calibration and firmware question

On Fri, 24 May 2019 19:28:05 -0600, kinsell wrote:

On 5/24/19 12:26 PM, Martin Gregorie wrote:

Reviewing flight logs? I use GPLIGC, a Perl program, so should run on
any OS. It shows stats and 2D or 3D plots. It can also convert IGC logs
into a KML files, which can be reviewed and 'flown' using Google Earth.

Oh yuk. I just installed that on a fairly clean Ubuntu 18.04 system, it
was an endless parade of tracking down missing libraries and
executables. Linus is never going to make it big in the home if
programs like that can't be packaged as simple installs.

That's odd - I've had it for quite a while and installed several versions
as they've appeared and don't remember any dependency issues. I might
well have had to play with Perl's CPAN library manager when I first
installed it: sorry, but I just don't remember whether that was the case,
but since then upgrades have all 'just worked'. One think I have noticed
is that RedHat's 'dnf' package installer seems to be much better than the
Debian 'apt' when it comes to dealing with dependencies - Fedora is my
default distro but I also have a RaspberryPi running Raspbian.

The one niggle I have with GPLIGC is that it doesn't plot the turnpoints
recorded in the flight log. Thats not a huge problem with FAI turn
sectors, but is annoying if you're using variable barrels. Consequently,
the next item, on my 'to do' list is to write an IGC to KML converter
that will either add turnpoints recorded in the log and/or read LK8000/
XCSoar task definitions and plot them using a different colour.

This will be written in Java and will have library dependencies.

--
Martin | martin at
Gregorie | gregorie dot org