Old February 8th 04, 09:27 PM
BAToulson

In article , Martin Gregorie
writes:

I wasn't in gliding when that accident happened though I have read the
report, but by the time I started in 2000 chutes had become universal.
It think its the view that it would be silly to need one and not have
it that tipped the balance and all clubs quietly started using chutes
virtually all the time. Apart from that, all training gliders
routinely thermal or run ridges near the field, often in gaggles,
often up to 4000+ ft AGL, so wearing chutes makes sense to me.

Another good reason to always wear chutes when instructing. What would you say
at an inquest or to your insurance company when a pupil died because he could
not bale out as he did not have a 'chute? I have little doubt you and or cyour
club could be successfully sued for negligence.

Duty of care in a big issue over here.

As an instructor of nearly 30 years I would not fly with a pupil in any glider
without a chute if it were possible to fit one in. Additionally, all of our
club aircraft are fitted with impact absorbing cushions for the same reason.

Barney
UK