Old October 13th 03, 04:24 AM
Replacement_Tommel

In article , Daryl Hunt says...

"Replacement_Tommel"
'SINV ALIDBABY wrote in message
In article , Daryl Hunt

says...

From what I saw, the A-10, although slower than a F-16, can do two attack

runs
in the same time a F-16 can do one. The A-10 can loiter better than the

F-16.

Then you need to see better.

You need to read better.

"In the same time..." means in the same amount of time, an A-10 can do two
attack runs whereas the F-16 will only do one.

What mission? It's main role for Tank busting was done by Bombers.

Nonsense. 80% of the MBTs taken out in Desert Storm were done by A-10s -
even
the USAF has damitted that (USAF General Horner remarked that he took back
everything bad he said about the A-10 because it "saved his ass.")

I don't know where you got your info (you made it up, of course)

Tell the USAF that:

http://www.airpower.maxwell.af.mil/a...4/fedor2a.html

"Although they represented less than 10 percent of the coalition's air assets,
A-10s were responsible for about 70 percent of the armored vehicles destroyed by
coalition air forces.32 During the latter part of the ground war, Lt Gen Charles
A. Horner, the joint force air component commander (JFACC), stated bluntly, "I
take back all of the bad things that I said about the A-10. I love them! They
saved our ass."33 Furthermore, a captured Iraqi officer reported that the
"single most recognizable and feared aircraft at low level was the A-10.
Although the actual bomb run was terrifying, the aircraft's loitering around the
target area caused as much, if not more, anxiety since the Iraqi soldiers were
unsure of the chosen target."34 Another source reported that A-10s killed over
50 percent of all enemy tanks, more than 50 percent of all field artillery
pieces, and 31 percent of all armored personnel carriers. Interestingly enough,
they also accounted for more air-to-air combat kills than the multirole F-16
Fighting Falcon.35 Clearly, the A-10s were decisive combat multipliers on the
battlefield and were instrumental in minimizing US ground losses in the ground
campaign that liberated Kuwait. And, once again, the Air Force used B-52s in the
BAI role to bomb Republican Guard positions as well as troop or equipment
concentrations.36"

32. "`The Air Campaign' Videotape Script," in Air Command and Staff College
Seminar/Lesson Book, vol. 9 (Maxwell AFB, Ala.: Air University, 1993), 37-51.

33. Smallwood, 96.

34. Ibid., 203.

35. "Letters," Air Force Magazine, September 1991, 9-10.

36. Hallion, 221.

It's also in "White Paper - Air Force Performance in Desert Storm, Department of
the Air Force, April 1991."

Next thing you know, you'll be telling me that the Russians have a three stage
SAM...

-Tom

"For the cause that lacks assistance/The wrong that needs ressistance/For the
Future in the distance/And the Good that I can do" - George Linnaeus Banks,
"What I Live for"

UMA Lemming 404 Local member, 404th MTN(LI)