Old May 3rd 14, 01:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Vaughn

Default Trailer Chains - To Cross of Not to Cross - That is the Question

On 5/2/2014 6:21 PM, JohnDeRosa wrote:
And while you are at it, anyone have a great crazy "trailer came off the ball" story to share? You first.

Well yes I do, but fortunately not a "glider trailer came off the ball"
story.

I was driving a truck pulling a heavy compressor trailer down a city
street when I casually looked to the right and saw a familiar trailer
trying to pass me! There was nothing I could do but drive next to it so
my truck would at least limit it's excursions to the left. The thing
finally slowed down by itself and followed the slant in the road toward
the curb. When it finally grazed the curb, it slowed down and finally
perfectly parked itself! I hooked it up (properly this time) and drove
off as if nothing had happened. (Except for my knees knocking.) Nobody
but me saw it, and I didn't tell, so I got to keep my job.

Motto: Always "preflight" your trailer before driving off.