Old June 20th 12, 05:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tim Mara

Default AR 4201 low volume on receiving side

It sounds to me like you have either connected your microphone to the wrong
pins or have an improper microphone.
The Becker radio accepts either Dynamic (amplified) microphones PIN 5 (and
also Mic Ground Pin 6) or accepts amplified dynamic, electret or carbon
microphones (wiring to STANDARD MIC) Pin 18 (and also Mic Ground Pin 6).
If you have a standard mic connected to the dynamic imput the voice
transmitted with be very low (unintelligible)
If you have a dynamic microphone connected to the standard mic input your
voice transmitted with also be very low (unintelligible)
the other mistake can be by using a microphone that is just the wrong type,
typically telephone, PC and other low cost microphones cannot be made to
work with most airband radios. diagram for wiring is on my website
http://www.wingsandwheels.com/useful.htm also, please see page 2-6 of the
manual for installation wiring guidelines.
Best regards
Tim Mara

"Alexander Swagemakers" wrote in message
I have purchased a used Becker AR 4201 and installed it in my glider.
Reception is fine. On transmission the signal volume is very low on the
receiving side. Even though the voice is clear, it is hardly understandable
because of the low volume. I tried making some changes to the configuration
to no avail (especially settings concerning the microphone).

Any ideas on what the problem might be? Has anybody experienced similar
behavior before?