Old June 21st 12, 01:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
T[_2_]

Default AR 4201 low volume on receiving side

On Jun 20, 8:22*am, Bill D wrote:
On Jun 20, 9:08*am, Alexander Swagemakers
wrote:

I have purchased a used Becker AR 4201 and installed it in my glider. Reception is fine. On transmission the signal volume is very low on the receiving side. Even though the voice is clear, it is hardly understandable because of the low volume. I tried making some changes to the configuration to no avail (especially settings concerning the microphone).

Any ideas on what the problem might be? Has anybody experienced similar behavior before?

I'm not a radio engineer so they can jump in with a better explanation
but here's my take.

The radios we use are designed for airplanes. *In a noisy airplane,
pilots will shout so mike sensitivity is set low so as not to over-
modulate the transmitter. *Read the manual carefully and you will find
an adjustment for mike gain - probably behind tape or a placard. *Try
some test transmissions speaking in a normal voice with an assistant
listening to a receiver at least a half mile away for over-modulation
as you increase the gain then back off a half turn.

I have been flying powered airplanes for 38 years and have never had
to SHOUT into a microphone to be heard.