Old September 29th 12, 01:25 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
6PK

Default Puchacz reviews

On Friday, September 28, 2012 10:15:04 AM UTC-7, David Salmon wrote:
At 14:24 28 September 2012, Andreas Maurer wrote: On Fri, 28 Sep 2012 10:53:11 +0000, David Salmon wrote: but I always claimed that it was the best training glider available, it would do exactly what the pilot told it to do. One exception, that in spite of it's reputation, pre-solo pilots had difficulty making it spin. Couple of letal spin accidents during winch launches in Germany with instructors on board. Pretty sure that the instructors did not tell the Puchacz to spin and kill them and the student. My 2 cents on the Puchacz. Andreas I really don't want to start this running, but many other glider types have done exactly the same, when unfortunately the winch launch is not handled correctly. See the BGA website, and what has been done in the UK to try to eliminate this type of accident. I have seen it happen to an ASW20, know the pilot of a Mosquito, who survived, and knew an ASW19 pilot who didn't. Sorry, but don't blame the glider. BTW, the Mosquito accident in Germany was the subject of a widely distributed video. Dave

I was checked out in one, the club I belonged to at the time purchased about 10-12 years ago.
I was told prior it had a very benine spin characheristic. Boy was I in for a surprise!
Entered in a regular conventional way and she wound up like a mama!!
It did recover no problem through. I been told that if you really wanted a great surprise just cross it up and wach out. I never did tried this entery method throuh.
Our chief pilot did a deep slip once at altitude and it went over the top.
Later in a checkout it killed an instructor and the pilot being checked out from what we think was an intentional practice spin entry from altitude.
6PK