Old November 14th 12, 12:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kirk.stant

Default New Class for US Nationals

Wow, who would have thought that LS6s and V1s would become the ugly ducklings of the glider racing community!

If I race in 15M, I go head to head against ASG-29s, ASW-27s, V2s, Dianas. Sure, it's fun and builds character, and I'll do it again in a heartbeat, but is it serious? Not really, it's just fun racing - and I've got a good whine already prepared for when I don't win every day ("wow, it's tough without winglets and disk brakes!").

Sports? Really? No ASTs? No thanks. When I go to a race I like to actually race, not just fly around the countryside with a variety of gliders in a variety of directions. That's a fun meet, not a contest. Fun, but not the same.

I like the format of classic and modern club class, with the split around the ASW-19 or 20 range. I want faster gliders in my class - let them go ahead and mark thermals, and I can tag along and nip them on the finish line (well, in my dreams, at least). Being the fast ship in a handicap class is not really a benefit - think about it and do the math!

You club class elitists who are all bent about including LS6s and V1s are being shortsighted - but hey - it's cool, right? Because Club Class is cool. And your gliders are cool, so make sure the rules are cool too...

What a joke.

Kirk
66