View Single Post
Old November 14th 12, 12:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kirk.stant
external usenet poster

Default New Class for US Nationals

Wow, who would have thought that LS6s and V1s would become the ugly ducklings of the glider racing community!

If I race in 15M, I go head to head against ASG-29s, ASW-27s, V2s, Dianas. Sure, it's fun and builds character, and I'll do it again in a heartbeat, but is it serious? Not really, it's just fun racing - and I've got a good whine already prepared for when I don't win every day ("wow, it's tough without winglets and disk brakes!").

Sports? Really? No ASTs? No thanks. When I go to a race I like to actually race, not just fly around the countryside with a variety of gliders in a variety of directions. That's a fun meet, not a contest. Fun, but not the same.

I like the format of classic and modern club class, with the split around the ASW-19 or 20 range. I want faster gliders in my class - let them go ahead and mark thermals, and I can tag along and nip them on the finish line (well, in my dreams, at least). Being the fast ship in a handicap class is not really a benefit - think about it and do the math!

You club class elitists who are all bent about including LS6s and V1s are being shortsighted - but hey - it's cool, right? Because Club Class is cool. And your gliders are cool, so make sure the rules are cool too...

What a joke.

Kirk