Old December 12th 03, 07:11 AM
Holger Stephan

Tilt wrote:

Couldn't really find anywhere on the site that talks about costs. And I
think I'd rather build from a specific kit. However, I will keep it on the
list (for research sake). It does fit the other requirements I was looking
for.

Currently there is no kit supplier for the BD-4. TVAP who used to sell the
kits are winding down their business and supporting only existing
customers. Their quickbuilt kits went for US$25,000. TVAP did never really
probe the market and stepped back for internal reasons. That the owners
keep a money losing business alive only to support the existing builders I
find rather remarkable.

While they are phasing out a new supplier is phasing in. At first parts like
the wing spars are going to be offered (starting February '04). Gradually
complete kits will be made available again. There is also another startup
targeting a BD-4 like kit. I can't tell more about the latter but take it
as sign for enough activities around the BD-4 to keep it very alive even
after a 35 year history. No wonder, as there is still no alternative for an
easy to build, inexpensive metal semi-4-seat high wing that gives you about
a MHP for each HP up front.

- Holger (don't every design need its lobbyist?)

webmaster [at] bd-4 [dot] org.