Old October 29th 03, 09:17 PM
John Penta

On Tue, 28 Oct 2003 14:21:19 GMT, Ed Rasimus
wrote:

On Tue, 28 Oct 2003 03:46:46 -0500, John Penta
wrote:

Just to add to my virtual "Binder of Obscure Trivia", I'm wondering.

Well, start the folder of BOT with a statement that takeoff and
landing rolls depend on a lot of factors such as gross weight,
temperature, field elevation, wind and slope. In other words it
varies--a lot!

Then note that a NATO "standard" runway was defined as 8000 feet
approximately, so that tells you an all purpose figure that works most
of the time. Certainly a longer runway will allow for heavier loads,
greater safety margins, and broader range of density altitude
conditions.

Typically most fighter aircraft (not STOL) will use about 1500-4000
feet of ground roll for take-off, depending upon load. Century series
aircraft consumed a bit more pavement.

Thanks for the info.

I wasn't looking for exact stuff, more what the lengths are that
planners use when planning for basing, emergency fields...things like
that.

The numbers that would (all other things being equal) allow one to
intelligently say "X can go here, here, here, and here, but not here,
here, here, and here. Meanwhile, Y can go here, here, here, and
here..."

Um. I really hope I'm making sense.

John