Old July 28th 03, 05:57 PM
Jay

Read comments interspursed below...

Jerry Springer wrote in message rthlink.net...

Jay I took a look at your design concept and your web page. It is a fantastic
concept but I would really hate to be in it flying somewhere always looking at
where I had been instead of where I was going.

That was in the early drawings when I was trying to figure out a way
to control the CG for a tandem seating close enough to be able to
still use a high aspect wing and not always be a little nose heavy
(for stability) or have to adjust ballast (sailplane style). I've
riden backwards (adjacent escape door) on commercial jets and apart
from takeoff and landing, as a passenger, you'd never know the
difference. When you're up high, and the ground is just crawling by,
it isn't a problem. A lot of 2 seaters are mainly used as a one
seater with the occassional buddy or wife that wants a ride. Why
penalize the balance of the whole plane just for a non-flying
passenger?

I took the liberty to copy a couple some things here for the sake of discussion
that you say on your web page which I take exception with and almost find
offensive to those of us that take pride in the aircraft we built and fly.

Didn't mean to offend, but I'd have to admit it was written in a way
to ellicit a response and get people thinking. I know a lot of people
buy used engines for their homebuilts, it doesn't mean I hate your
airplane, the economics force the decision. Did you know that since
this post came out, over 100 people have looked at the page and only
you and BOb have bothered to write anything? I'll address each point
in order below...

--------------------------------------

and economics has a direct effect on public saftey bacause:

Nobody in the government cares to change anything unless they might
get in trouble for not acting. So by putting it in the context of a
public safety issue, it just might get some administrator to take a
look see and reconsider how the economics and locations of GA airports
have changed since 1950. The real reason is selfish. I don't like
having to fly around constantly plotting my next emergency landing
spot because a single point failure in the most complex sub-system
(AKA engine) of my plane has decided to fail. When I rent a plane I
don't get the opportunity (or have the ability) to do the kind of
diagnostic required to really ensure I won't suffer a loss of power in
flight. Who knows what the history on the engine is or if a wasp
decided the week before to build a nest somewhere in the induction
system. Checking the oil, and looking for water in the gas is just
the beginning of what you'd really need to do to know for sure. It
may not matter as much if you're flying in Kansas, but in LA, its
nothin but houses 25 miles in each direction surrounded by a ring of
mountains and ocean.

* Expensive up-keep is more likely to be put off.

You're average Joe is going to do just enough to get things signed off
till next year. If he doesn't like what his mechanic has to say, he
might find another one next time.

* Engine replacement will be put off long past when it should be.

Replacing one valve here, or cylinder there, and leaving the rest old
just isn't the most reliable approach, but because the parts are so
expensive, thats what a lot of people do.

* Used engines and components (no joke) will be used and reused in active
aircraft.

At my EAA chapter someone was referring to the engine in their plane
as "the one from that crashed EZ a few years back". I'm sorry, but a
set of calipers ain't gunna prove thats its good as new. The
metalurgy required to really know for sure is just too impractical.

* More likely that a broken or worn part will try to be repaired instead of
replaced as it should be.

I hate to buy anything with moving parts that has been used by someone
else. You have no way of really knowing what abuse its been through
and how much life it has left. Do you really want to gamble your
health and that of the random people below you that the guy selling
you that engine is going to be completely honest (or even fully
understand) the condition of that used engine parted out to fix yours?

* Airframe manufacturers are more likely to underpower their aircraft to
reduce cost of goods sold, and increase the proportion of the aircraft that they
build.

This was for all those light twin guys that were saying "the twin I
fly, on single engine, will climb at -200fpm at gross" That airplane
is either underpowered or its gross is over rated, pick one. So the
airframe manufacturer didn't want to give 50% of his selling price to
Continental, but he wanted to advertise a large lift, so this is what
you get.

We had a big discussion about this several months back under the topic
"2 ordinarly vs one extrodinary" or something like that. Back then I
didn't have any renderings or modeled numbers to show what I was
imagining.

I find fault in just about everything you say in the above sentences, I do not
believe that any of it is true and to try to sell a concept on the above
statements is wrong IMO. I post this here because I would like you to submit any
proof you have that the above is true. don't get me wrong I wish you all the
luck in the world with your design but lets keep it real.

Jerry