Old January 27th 05, 08:13 PM
Dudley Henriques

"gatt" wrote in message

Hey, all. Haven't shot instrument approaches in a complex aircraft
yet,
and I'm getting ready to so I'm curious:

When you're doing a practice approach in which you know it's going to
be
missed, do you complete/amend/ignore the GUMPS check? I'm guessing
yes,
but I'm curious as to what others do. Finishing up my complex
endorsement
this afternoon, but haven't done any approaches in that plane yet.

No. I wouldn't do that, and here's why. Your practice approaches should
include everything you would usually do in the airplane, and that
includes all checklist procedures and cockpit housekeeping. You want the
workload to be the same as it would be in the real situation. That's the
way it will be on the real missed approach and that's the way you want
to practice it.
Keep in mind these are MY procedures. Other pilots might differ in their
"approach" to this scenario. :-)
Dudley Henriques
International Fighter Pilots Fellowship
Commercial Pilot/CFI Retired
for private email; make necessary changes between ( )
dhenriques(at)(delete all this)earthlink(dot)net