Old August 19th 15, 02:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
David Kinsell[_2_]

Default SSA responds to ANPRM

On Tue, 18 Aug 2015 22:45:18 -0700, jfitch wrote:

On Tuesday, August 18, 2015 at 8:45:12 PM UTC-7, George Haeh wrote:
I have been slogging through the some 220 responses and came across a
response from the NTSB:

http://www.regulations.gov/contentStrea mer?documentId=FAA-2015-2147-
0137&attachmentNumber=1&disposition =attachment&contentType=pdf

"our main concern was to ensure that gliders are detectable by an
aircraft equipped with a traffic alert and collision avoidance system
(TCAS)"

Gliders are already kept well away from air carriers by Class B and C.

That makes the primary beneficiaries of the ANPRM private jet owners
able to afford TCAS - $30K to $200K before installation.

As long as they're transmitting ADS-B, anybody with PowerFLARM knows
exactly where they are from several miles away and can avoid.

At least some air carriers are not transmitting ADS-B as of this
writing. Southwest for example - none of their jets flying into and out
of Reno show up on PowerFlarm. Biz jets seem to have a higher install
rate than airlines.

So SouthWest isn't using their transponders these days?? Hope you report
that to FAA.