Old September 28th 06, 07:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jim Vincent

Default How about the HP-18 (rather than KA-6CR)?

Since you're expanding your options, please consider a Pilatus B-4. Perhaps
the best built all metal sailplane around. Very acrobatic, no bad habits,
easy to keep tied out so you can hop in and go.

"Jim" wrote in message
Thanks to all KA-6 pilots responding to my earlier question.
Wayne Paul has kindly sent links to HP websites, suggesting the HP-18 as
an
affordable option for the economically-minded flyer. Compared to the
wooden
KA-6, the HP-18 has a larger cockpit, is made of metal, structural foam,
composite & glass. All were built from plans. Features a 15m, V-tail,
retractable gear, flaps, water ballast; lay-down pilot position &
tailwheel.
Any comments on HP-18's? I certainly haven't enough experience to hop in
one
now, but would you recommend the HP-18 to a low-time pilot? (Plenty of
room
for caveats). I particularly like one suggestion; practice steep full
flaps
landings in a Cessna before first flying the HP-18.
Jim Hultman