Old October 23rd 08, 04:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Tuno

Default TFR data source?

Jim: thanks -- this is new and good stuff, but I'm not sure it will
help me. The raw notam text is written for a human to read and make
sense; it's not formatted in a regular (e.g. tabular) way that I can
write a program to parse.

Mike et al: Here's what I'm trying to accomplish: I have a web page
that glider pilots use for getting specially formatted airspace data
files that are generated from the FAA's NFD. (See www.justsoar.com.)
For special soaring events, especially regional and national contests,
I want to add a feature that appends TFRs to the product data files.
To do this I have to be able to programatically download and parse
data files (or web pages) that provide the TFR data in a precise,
regular format, just like the NFD.

(The NFD uses the ARINC specification 424-15, which describes Special
Use Airspace polygons in terms of rhumb lines and arcs (e.g. from
point A to point B around center C of radius X). I'm looking for the
same style of descriptions for TFRs (and other NOTAMs).)

-ted