Old January 11th 04, 02:31 AM
Ross Oliver

O. Sami Saydjari wrote:
I know it has been pointed out in several different places, but it seems
pretty clear that the FAA needs to reconsider its supplemental oxygen
requirements. Waiting until 12,500 seems like a bad idea.

I disagree that the mandatory maximum altitude needs to be reconsidered.
I do think more education is needed about when it might be advisible to use
supplimental oxygen below the mandatory maximum. For example, when I did
a mountain checkout at my local flying club, there was no mention of using
supplimental oxygen below the mandatory maximum. There was also no
demonstration of the portable oxygen system that the club had available
for rent. When I rented it for an actual mountainous cross-country, I
hired a CFI for a one-on-one session to learn how to use it properly.

There's always more to learn,

Ross