Old March 22nd 06, 04:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Default Lonely up there?

I've noticed that Boston Center's radar coverage get's quite spotty on the
NY/VT/NH area. No doubt because of the mountains. The MEA of 5000 is very
strict in that 4,500 seems to be where I lose radio contact. I basically
have to cancel before I descend if it's VMC.

Marco
"Robert Chambers" wrote in message
Yeah flying from Niagara falls to Vermont on a weekday afternoon. There
was not much chatter at all, no traffic alerts just handoffs. By the
time I got handed off to Boston Center we were exchanging pleasantries
and I told them after I had fed and fueled I'd continue VFR to Maine so
they said "Call us when you get high enough to hear us and we'll be here"

paul kgyy wrote:
It appeared to be a long time since last hearing from ATC on a recent
flight, and sure enough, "27D can you still hear us?". I still could,
and they transferred me to a local approach control.

Anybody ever just call them up to see if they forgot about you? I did
that once over Toledo.

http://www.usenet.com