Old May 11th 05, 03:25 PM
Dudley Henriques

wrote in message
ups.com...
Dudley,

Where did you fly CallAirs?

I worked ground crew and then flew them in central Iowa. We almost
invariably flew off of gravel roads, however, we tried to avoid roads
that had power poles.

One of the pilots I crewed for landed one on a single lane road, with
slightly built up edges, that was only about a foot wider than his
landing gear. I was 16 and had just soloed. I couldn't believe how
accurately that guy could fly and land that airplane. The A-9 was one
of the nicest ground handling tailwheel airplanes I ever flew, but I'd
have to be very, very current before I'd try something as narrow as he
did that day.

All the best,
Rick

A fellow I knew in Maryland had a small Ag operation. He had a contract with
a large co-op frozen food supplier doing fields in Maryland and Delaware;
and did some mosquito work on the canal near us. He had 2 airplanes; the
Calair and a Pawnee. I just helped him out on a few occasions. I got an Ag
cert and sometimes acted as his spare pilot when he had a large field to do.
I liked the CalAir; stable and easy to handle. Actually, the Pawnee wasn't
all that bad either.
I've ferried Agcats and Agwagons on a few occasions for non ag reasons, but
never worked these airplanes.
Dudley