Old September 12th 10, 05:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default Airplane prices are ridiculous

Mark wrote:
On Sep 11, 3:06Â*pm, Jim Logajan wrote:
Mark wrote:
So you're saying tort reform would entice companies like
Arion aircraft Â*and Piper sport to stop asking 135,000.00?

Um, the Arion Lightning is available for just under US$94k.[1]
It can be flown at 138 mph to any airfield in the U.S.

A 2010 Aston Martin Rapide has a list price of US$200k.
A 2010 Dodge Viper has a list price of US$91k.

The fastest either of those two sports cars can be driven on highways in
the U.S. is 80 mph.[3]

A Sonex aircraft (low wing, two person, metal construction) could be
built for under US$40k and be flown at 170 mph to any airfield in the
U.S.

A 2010 Porsche Boxster has a list price of US$48k and is limited to 80
mph (and typically less) on U.S. roads.

The limiting factor of airplanes is that they only take you from one
airfield to another. Ground transportation is needed at both ends. This
is, in my view, the aspect that limits the utility of airplanes.

[1]http://www.flylightning.net/images/pdf/2009%20Price%20Sheet%20Light%2...
[2]http://www.automotive.com/new-cars/pricing/27/sports/index.html
[3]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speed_limits_in_the_United_States
[4]http://www.sonexaircraft.com/aircraft/sonex.html
[5]http://www.sonexaircraft.com/kits/pricing.html

I'm not sure why you've listed expensive autos
here. Look at the KIA sorento. For 20K you can
get this vehicle which looks very nice inside and
out. (yes, I know...autos, mass production, etc)
http://www.bing.com/autos/search?yea...re nto+prices

Because a "nice" used airplane has historically cost about the same as a
high end car, as I have already said.

Or more for my tastes, the Ford F-250 Super Duty
often lists (decked out) near 60K, but you can pick
them up all day long (used) for 22K.

What "grinds my gears" is the fact that planes used
to be accessable to middle class America and now
even the most rudimentary planes (usually a pre-owned
home built) cost double what a very nice auto does.

Nope, costs the same as a very nice auto.

You can get C172N's and Warriors for about $35k.

--
Jim Pennino

Remove .spam.sux to reply.