Old September 26th 06, 10:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Jay Honeck

Default 3-blade prop?

Is it oil or grease? Some people overgrease the
Hartzell props during maintenance and it slings a bit.

Well, we thought it was oil, at first, because of the streaking, but
when we looked closer at the "bugs" on our windshield, they looked like
tiny little flecks of grease.

There was a trace of oily coating on the back side of one of the prop
blades, which we *thought* was oil, but I suppose it could be greasy
residue, flung under centrifugal force? Dunno.

My A&P did grease the prop hub at our last annual, and the weather has
been pretty hot ever since. This leak appeared (I guess not
surprisingly) on a flight after our first "cold snap" of the year.

I've spoken with my mechanic, and he advised that we clean it up and
watch it closely, but take no action at this time.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA