Old March 13th 19, 03:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Glider preparation for a competition

All excellent advice.

You will learn more about XC soaring in a single regional contest than years of weekend "sport flying". Remember, all competitors have had a first time.

Understand the contest layout and daily routine. Know the competition rules and do not beat yourself. Try to have an experienced contest "buddy" who can shepherd you and answer operational and flying questions. If none, ask the CD to assign one to you. Seasoned competitors will welcome you and most will go out of their way to help you. Don't be afraid to ask questions and keep asking until you understand.

Volunteer crew become hard to find if you make them assemble a "kit". Before launching, have your trailer secured ready for a retrieve. If you do not have a crew, hitch up and have vehicle and trailer completely "hop in and go" ready. ALWAYS treat your crew as royalty.

Most importantly: go to have fun and come home safe and sound. Smiles will always be more meaningful and lasting than scores.

On Wednesday, March 13, 2019 at 6:08:06 AM UTC-4, wrote:
I'm flying in my first gliding competition this year. I've flown a reasonable number of XC tasks over the last couple of years and thought it would be fun to enter a small local competition.

My glider is in pretty good condition and I'll be polishing it before the competition, but what other tips do people have for preparing a glider to try and get an edge in competition?

Thanks

Ash