Old January 5th 21, 05:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
BG[_4_]

Default First glider Nimbus 2 ?

On Thursday, March 12, 2015 at 8:11:44 PM UTC-7, Surge wrote:
A Nimbus 2 is on the market which I'm interested in as my first glider and I'd like some feedback from those who've owned or flown one.

As a previous owner of one of the vintage open class ships, Only under extraordinary circumstances would I ever recommend to anyone to own one. There are so many negatives and about the only reason people make that choice is the L/D for the price, that was my reason which I regretted it.

The plane was kept in hangar to avoid rigging more than once a year. The wheel and air brakes were horrible, good reason it had a drogue chute that was dangerous to use. Above 80 knots it was no better than an older 15 meter. No one ever plans to land out, but it does happen to anyone in any ship. The longer wings are a huge disadvantage, landing in fields was often a better choice over general aviation airstrips with runway obstructions

I now own a DG800 and could not be happier, especially after owning something to compare against.

Buy a modern glider and truly enjoy the experience. Let your experience grow, knowledge with time and be saving for that right glider.

BG