Old November 20th 17, 04:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
flgliderpilot[_2_]

Default Next glider, ownership costs question?

On Monday, November 20, 2017 at 1:59:49 AM UTC-5, krasw wrote:
We have had glassfiber gliders for 60 years but you can still actually ask if that material (developed by witches and black magic) is repairable or costly to maintain.

Of course fiberglass is easy to repair and easy to maintain, but I'm asking about the costs of having a certified aircraft mechanic do that work, and if it's more expensive than riveting aluminum and stretching fabric.

Fiberglass involves layup and lots of sanding, dealing with sanding dust, following with gel coat, polishing, etc.

I imagine that to be more expensive but maybe it's cheaper. It's not the material, it's the hours involved.