Old October 27th 06, 04:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Default Regs regarding "VFR flight following?" (also: "need to vent")

: I have never had this in Charlie airspace in my five years of flying.

It's not at all of them, just a few here and there. They do tend to be fairly
consistent on it though.

: My question is where were you in relationship to the airport? Were you
: under an approach or departure path? Where you near an initial approach
: fix for IFR traffic?

: Seems to me, that you may have been a traffic conflict for the approach
: phase of the airport near these fixes (if you were indeed near one) that
: ATC had the need to on to you / vector you around the Charlie airspace.

As Doc Brown in "Back to the Future" said, "You're just not thinking
4th-dimensionally." Told them I would stay clear the Charlie... no need to get
vectored around it IMO.

: Naturally,, every airport is different, but my experience with Charlie
: airspace has been quite different then yours.

Maybe so, but I've flown underneath the Bravo in Chicago at least a dozen
times. Now *THEY* have something to worry about, but don't make an issue of it.
They'll even provide radar services for you VFR if you don't sound like an idiot on
the radio and can communicate quickly and suscinctly enough. The guys working a
podunk Charlie shouldn't get themselves worked up over traffic 2 miles and 1000' under
their airspace limits. (In their defense though, I know that there are a lot of
bumpkin' pilots around here that might have troubles flying within that tolerance).

My thoughts are if there is a traffic conflict, than the FAA needs to expand
the boundaries of the Charlie to cover it.

-Cory

* Cory Papenfuss, Ph.D., PPSEL-IA *
* Electrical Engineering *