Old February 7th 17, 09:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jfitch

Default Reachable landing sites in iGlide

On Tuesday, February 7, 2017 at 9:36:51 AM UTC-8, Dan Marotta wrote:
snip
It might sound completely crazy, but how about using a dedicated device in the glider?
Jim

/snip

What a concept! Considering you can now find a Dell Streak 5 on eBay
for under $50 (I've seen them as low as $15), and it's daylight
readable, and XCSoar is free and doesn't do all the bad things I'm
reading about iGlide, and it's continually maintained and updated, and
it has a nearly 200 page user's manual... Then you can turn off your
phone so that, should you land or bail out, you'll have a charged phone
to call for help. Maybe not so crazy...
--
Dan, 5J

The 2 main advantages of XCSoar is that it is free, and it runs on several platforms. The main advantage of iGlide is that it is better in most other respects, but particularly UI.

Now that's my opinion and as I said, everybody has one. I have many, many cross country hours flying with both XCSoar and iGlide, including more than a few flights with both side-by-side, so I am not speaking from ignorance of one or the other. The thermal assistant in XCSoar is perhaps overall a little more useful than iGlide, but neither are even close to the old Winpilot (which the new Winpilot does not have).