Old September 18th 17, 07:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)

Default Modifying Std Libelle with Tost Lilliput Wheel

What is the long term brake performance?
My thoughts, limited in types, is "Tost" should be "Toast"......,good for one hard braking, then they're toast.
Not sure if it's the braking material or the drum. Pull it apart, sand (200 grit or so dry) on the shoes and drums, great for one hard braking event, repeat process.
I'm guessing the brake material.

Most recent experience is a 2 place Lark. In general, my experience is Tost drum brakes are weak other than the first application.

If you have a better experience, please share. I still think it's the shoe friction material from the OEM.
Maybe your motorcycle shop has a decent friction material that lasts for multiple hard stops, great!

This from someone that has done "band brakes" (1-26 brake against the tire tread.....sucks when the ground is wet) up to various ASW's where you grind the Gelcoat off the belly if you're not careful on pavement.