Old September 14th 06, 04:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ron Natalie

Default Flaps on take-off and landing

Mxsmanic wrote:

Do aircraft commonly have mechanisms to prevent gear retraction when
the wheels are touching ground, or is it usually up to the pilot not
to do anything unwise?

Some do, but it's best not to rely on it. Getting a good bounce
on rollout can sometimes release the pressure on the switch enough to
get the gear to stop.

On the Navion there is NOTHING to stop this. If the handle is up and
the crakshaft is turning the gear is coming up. It's all hydraulic.
Even the starter motor is enough to get the hydraulic pump to start
the nose gear retracting. I have seen exactly one Navion with a
mechanical interlock that keeps you from moving the handle while the
airplane is on the squat switch.

I was under the impression that full flaps is a normal configuration
for landing; is this not true?

Then why would you you have them? The FAA believes that FULL FLAPS
should always be used for landings (not one that I believe in).