Old September 14th 06, 06:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Macklin

Default Flaps on take-off and landing

True, different airplanes have different characteristics.
The early Helio Couriers had two hand cranks on the ceiling
on a concentric shaft. The small handle was for trim and
the longer handle was for the flaps. The Helio could
take-off with the full span flaps [just a very few feet lost
to ailerons, spoilers being primary roll control]. Helio
even had instructions in their flight manual for the H295 on
how to take-off when the mud was over the top of the tires
[ a real soft field]. Full flaps, full throttle and pump
the elevator full forward and aft would cause the airplane
to climb out of the mud and then take-off.

On dry ground the H295 would take-off in as little as two
airplane lengths. The factory had a grass strip next to the
assembly building. They would land and take-off day in and
out, from the 300 feet of grass, even with straight EDO
floats.

"Ron Natalie" wrote in message
m...
| Jim Macklin wrote:
| Johnson Bar
|

| You can also use the flaps to "jump over" a fence or
ditch
| that you see at the last moment before a forced landing
if
| they are up for the glide.
|
| If you have ones that react fast. I loved the
"johnson-bar"
| flaps in the 170's and early 172's. In the electric
flapped
| 172's it is doubtful you could pull that manouver. The
Navion