Old September 5th 16, 07:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default ASW 19 tail wheel

Actually not so much pushing sideways as towing it on the ground in any direction other than perfectly straight. After destroying skid #1, I don't deviate from straight by even one degree without the dolly. But that doesn't help much when you get a tow out of a rough field. I know the skid is supposed to come off to protect the tail boom, but the design in these skid/wheel combos is particularly poor. If you look at it sideways the wheel gets ripped out, leaving you with a lovely soft rubber skid.

I do think the FBW skid/wheel mentioned here earlier is worth a try. At least if I wreck it I'll only feel half as bad.