Old December 24th 09, 06:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell

Default contrails

Martin Gregorie wrote:
On Wed, 23 Dec 2009 13:13:54 -0800, Newill wrote:

On Dec 23, 10:38Â am, Martin Gregorie
wrote:

On Tue, 22 Dec 2009 22:21:46 -0800, Frank Whiteley wrote:

Note my comments to the article about soaring near Oxford when the
persistent contrails filled the southern sky.

Yes, and I remember the discussion on r.a.s about contrails and their
spread-out to form cirrus just after the post-9/11 three day warm
period was reported. IIRC the discussion then was about the effect of
contrails in the soaring areas beneath flight paths out of large US
West Coast airports.

In the USA there was a rather well done program on NOVA or Frontline
(PBS) that investigated the impact of the contrails and concluded that
contrails actually contribute to global cooling - not warming!

So, how did they explain the 1 degree C rise in ground temperature during
the three days when all civil aviation was grounded?

Three days is weather. Actually, one week is weather, one month is
weather, one year is weather. Get up to five years, ten years, now you
are starting to talk climate. For an explanation of a three day event,
talk to a meteorologist, because three days isn't something climate
scientists even think about predicting.

--
Eric Greenwell - Washington State, USA