Old June 3rd 08, 02:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Jay Maynard

Default Power LEDs

On 2008-06-03, Mike Isaksen wrote:
" wrote ...
...it had some sort of strip of blue white LEDs under
the edge of the glare shield.

About ten years back I saw a vendor at the shows who sold those strips. Not
cheap! Can't remember the name, but they also made custom cutout panel
covers IIRC.

Also, try a google for "electroluminescent strip", should find something in
the electrical hobbie arena.

Different stuff. EL wire/strips aren't LEDs; they use an inverter to produce
a signal of about 100 volts at a couple of kilohertz to drive the EL
portion. I'd be a little nervous about putting that in an aircraft: seems
like a good way to generate lots of RF hash.

EL wire is also a royal pain to work with. I should know: that's the glowing
stuff on the TRON costume.
--
Jay Maynard, K5ZC http://www.conmicro.com
Fairmont, MN (FRM) (Yes, that's me!)