Old April 19th 12, 09:46 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Dave Kearton[_3_]

Default Speaking of Spitfires...

"Bob (not my real pseudonym)" wrote in message

I really wonder at what kinds of corrosion may be there, despite the
pickling efforts taken when they were buried. Ground water and soil
acidity play a major role here.

Probably a ~bit~ less than in the case of the beached Spit linked
above... =) I wonder how much of the recovered airframe in such a
case can actually be used in the restoration.

The Flying Heritage Collection here in my neighborhood has a Bf 109E
that was similarly recovered from a French beach.

I guess they'd still have to sand back the paintwork ?

--

Cheers

Dave Kearton