Old January 10th 20, 03:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Richard Pfiffner[_2_]

Default Sailplane Refinishing Advice - 1973 Berkshire Concept 70

On Wednesday, January 8, 2020 at 9:54:02 PM UTC-8, Shaun Wheeler wrote:
Looking for advice on a refinish. I don't have Bob Ireland's excellent contacts in the sailplane business so I'm working at a disadvantage. He owns one of the few remaining (total of 7) flyable examples.

I've read about people bundling sailplanes up to get them repainted in South America but can't see any details on how they went about it or what the price was. I know this isn't like painting a metal powered aircraft so that rules out the closest aircraft paint shops to where I live.

So far my options seem to be drag it out West or back East (I live in Tennessee) to get it done. I do have a shop but I've never repainted anything fiberglass bigger than a motorcycle and that was almost 30 years ago.

If Bob would make me a deal on his I'd come buy it but I'd be willing to bet he's planning on flying it this next season

It's not that I can't manage to come up with 25 grand to paint it, I'm just a little hesitant when I see sailplanes that are current and inspected for less.

The factory moulds for these are long gone. I don't know of anybody who's made templates.

What's the best fix short of find another used sailplane to stick in the trailer?

http://www.craggyaero.com/ventus.htm

Richard
www.craggyaero.com