Old February 27th 21, 08:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]

Default $1 billion BMS Ooops...

Moshe Braner wrote on 2/27/2021 8:48 AM:
On 2/27/2021 11:25 AM, wrote:
An uncontained battery failure is as bad as an uncontained engine failure (car, airplane, or
glider). Any potentially unstable battery like most Lithium chemistries should be in a safety
container that will either contain or exhaust the fire, explosion, or heat. I would feel a
lot better if the batteries were in a sealed stainless box with appropriate vents to the
outside of vehicle.
Wit HZ

I feel a bit nervous about carrying a "USB power bank" in the glider, which includes a not-tiny
lithium battery of the dangerous type.* As for the yuuuge batteries needed for electrically
propelled gliders, I think I'd wait for safer battery chemistry.* LiFePO4 batteries are a lot
safer, and their energy density - and price - are being improved so that they can compete with
other types of lithium batteries.* They are already used in some electric cars.

You should look at the Jonkers JS3 RES electric self-launcher using LiFePo batteries. It's the
only one I know of using that kind of battery.