Old March 5th 21, 02:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Wallace Berry[_2_]

Default Sailplane Refinishing Advice - 1973 Berkshire Concept 70

On Thursday, March 4, 2021 at 5:15:01 PM UTC-6, wro te:
How feasible is it to repair - sand and repaint paint over gelcoat? Actually, the entire fuselage could use some TLC - trailer rash etc. The upper wing surfaces are pretty good. I freely admit his kind of work is beyond me and I don't have a place to do any prep work.

Also, I have a Pegasus. Both, while not currently listed anywhere, are available. I don't need two gliders.

Mike

I have an ASW-20 that was "refinished" that way. Someone gave the original crazing gel coat a superficial sanding and shot some new finish (maybe PU) over it. It actually held up and looked fine for maybe 10 years. Now the old gel underneath is letting go to the point that it leaves a silhouette of the fuselage in paint chips on the ground when it sits for a couple hours. The wings still look OK, but if you look closely, there are a few places where the new finish has been sanded through and you can see the old, crazed finish peeking out. One more season and the wings will be leaving a gel coat contrail. If the gel on your ship is not cupping up like lichens on a log and falling off, and you are happy for it to look OK for a few seasons, I would certainly consider doing what you suggest. Just be aware that when, the finish finally fails, it is going to go from looking OK to looking terrible in a short span of time. I would let an auto body or boat shop spray it.