Old December 8th 19, 08:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Cookie

Default Filling small holes in panel?

I just got word that "vinyl wrapping" has been approved in Europe for many makes and models of gliders.

To cover crazed gel coat...IMHO...not a good choice.

Two reasons. 1080 has an outdoor exposure life of maybe 4 years....so maybe if a glider is kept inside most of the time it would be OK.

Also vinyl wrap gets almost impossible to remove if it is left on for 4 years...
In most automotive used it is sort of semi permanent, removed and replaces periodically.

As for covering the crazing...it won't really...the vinyl take on the shape of the under surface so I am afraid that the crazing will show through somewhat. Also the crazing may continue to get worse under the wrap.

I just did a wrap on my car roof, to cover up blistering and peeling clear coat...BUT I had to wet sand 400 grit and remove all traces of the clear coat before applying the wrap.

Wrapping is not all the inexpensive.

Cookie

On Sunday, December 8, 2019 at 2:13:03 AM UTC-5, wrote:
On Saturday, December 7, 2019 at 9:10:24 PM UTC-8, Cookie wrote:

Then use 3m 1080 vinyl wrap..."anthracite" color carbon fiber...looks great, easy.

Would 1080 vinyl be a good material to cover crazed gelcoat?