Old April 20th 06, 07:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Default Oil temperature questions

Bob Noel wrote:
In article .com,
"Jay Honeck" wrote:

A buddy of mine has an RV-6 with an O-360 in it, and he built a hinged
aluminum cover plate over the oil cooler and connected a standard
push-pull control cable, like a carb heat cable, to the cover so he can
fine-tune the airflow thru the oil cooler in flight. Too bad we can't
just simply do that to our certified airplanes or it'd make the wings
fall off or something like that.

That is just too bloody intelligent. I can't believe that's not a
standard feature on every Spam can...

Oil temp doesn't seem to be much of an issue with the cherokee 140.
So such a control would be appear to be unnecessary for at least
some aircraft.

Cherokees, especially the 140, are notorious for needing the airflow
thru the oil cooler restricted to almost zilch in colder weather, else
they'll never get the oil up to the 180 degrees necessary to boil off
the water that gets into the oil from combustion blow-by gasses.