Old September 23rd 06, 02:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dan Luke

Default OT ?

"Christopher Range" wrote:

I am grasping at straws about, the information I need know. I have been
looking on the Internet, regarding the the ceiling level of the flying
altitude of a Cessna.

Unfortunately, the answer is "it depends."

An unpressurized Cessna (or similar Piper, Mooney, Beechcraft, etc.) with a
turbocharged engine can fly above 20,000 feet. My unpressurized Cessna with
a normally aspirated engine can fly above 15,000 feet, though I've never
done it. But these airplanes can and do fly cross country at much lower
altitudes.

I am needing to know the information because, my fiance n' I may have to
utilitize 'Angel Flight' for, her to get to Baltimore from our home in
Duluth(Minnesota). Angel Flight, is a non-profit flight service that
utilizes the personal Cessna planes of individual pilots.

I'm an A F pilot myself. It's a very rewarding part of my flying. You will
probably fly in more types than Cessnas on your way there and back.

She has a 'shunt'(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brain_shunt) as a result of
a condition called Hydrocephalus. Because of this, we are concerned about
cabin pressure. I know that Cessnas' are not pressurized and, the ceiling
level could cause her to have a bad headache.

Yes, so ask Angel Flight to help arrange for your pilots to flight plan for
lower altitudes and very gradual climbs and descents.
There are some mountains between Duluth and Baltimore that must be planned
around, too. What does her doctor say about it?

(I assume you are referring to light, piston-engined Cessnas. There are
Cessna jets and pressurized propeller Cessnas, too.)

Thank you for your time.

You are welcome. Ask all the questions you want, and please keep us posted
on how it goes.

--
Dan
C172RG at BFM