Old November 22nd 18, 10:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Luke Scharf

Default MIT's Ion-drive sustainer takes flight

On Thursday, November 22, 2018 at 12:59:07 PM UTC-5, Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot) wrote:
I saw that on a car forum. While interesting, I wish they had a RC modeler help with rigging the craft. I also wonder how much the launch device added to the flight distance......basically, would it have gone close to as far just due to the launch?

Here are two papers from Steven Barrett on the topic:
http://rspa.royalsocietypublishing.o.../2175/20140912
http://rspa.royalsocietypublishing.o...20120623.short

They're from 2013 and 2015, so they may not answer any questions about this specific demonstration. I imagine that Dr. Barrett is working on publishing another paper which should answer those questions directly.

-Luke