Old December 27th 19, 04:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Default FAI ratifies records of illegal flights.

An interesting question.Â* Do the FAI/IGC rules state simply that the
flight must be legal or that the flight must be completed before some
specifically defined time for the location, e.g., sunset, civil
twilight, night?

On 12/26/2019 6:18 PM, 2G wrote:
On Thursday, December 26, 2019 at 2:29:01 PM UTC-8, Tom BravoMike wrote:
On Wednesday, December 25, 2019 at 11:53:57 PM UTC-6, krasw wrote:
If sunset time is stated in hours and minutes, then minutes are what you validate, not minutes and seconds? I guess there is a lot more to this story we are not told.

Exactly my opinion, too.

You can legally fly a glider after sunset IF it is equipped with navigational lights. A friend of mine did exactly that. So, unless you KNOW the glider DIDN'T have nav lights, you can't say DEFINITIVELY that the flight was illegal.

Tom

--
Dan, 5J