Old December 27th 19, 05:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan St. Cloud

Default FAI ratifies records of illegal flights.

On Friday, December 27, 2019 at 9:12:47 AM UTC-8, Dan Marotta wrote:
I'm astonished that everyone seems to be OK with "winning" recognition
by not completing a task under the established rules.

I once denied a Diamond Distance claim because the turn point picture
was taken outside of the zone.Â* Remember cameras and barographs?Â* The
pilot had shot three pictures (prematurely due to his excitement) and,
by connecting the pictures to show his flight path, it was clear to me
that he had, indeed, turned the point.Â* But the rules were specific.

I was once denied my Diamond Distance claim because, since the turn
point was covered by a thunder storm, I took a picture of a nearby
(within a mile) road intersection.Â* Sure, I flew the distance, but I did
not meet the letter of the rule.Â* I simply flew a different flight at a
later date.

So, I think that, should I attempt a 1,000 km flight in my Stemme, and I
need to run the engine for just a minute or so to avoid landing short of
home, I'll submit the claim and expect it to be approved.Â* I know I'll
get a lot of support here, since it's only just a little bit outside the
rules.

On 12/27/2019 7:40 AM, wrote:
Hey its great they were granted the record, as someone said, more power to them. I hope I can get the same minor consideration on a record flight.

Years ago I missed out on my diamond goal by 1/8 of a mile in a low performance machine. I made all my turnpoints, the pictures were good, but my OO was a wonderfull old minden soaring legend by the name of Marcel Goudinat. Being german, everything he did was with german precision. When he measured off my declaration (pre gps days) on the sectional, he told me I was 1/8 mile short. It did’nt matter that I had probably flown an extra 20 miles that day working around areas of OD, I was still deemed to be short lol.

--
Dan, 5J

I was denied a diamond goal when I had a logged position on either side of the 90 degree zone and a line could be drawn that would have crossed the zone, but because I made a sharp turn there was not a logged point in the sector. Flew it again, but for some reason my logger had a 2 minute gap in the logged flight. Third time was the charm.