Old December 27th 19, 05:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
BobW

Default FAI ratifies records of illegal flights.

On 12/27/2019 10:12 AM, Dan Marotta wrote:
I'm astonished that everyone seems to be OK with "winning" recognition by
not completing a task under the established rules.

I once denied a Diamond Distance claim because the turn point picture was
taken outside of the zone...snip...[b]ut the rules were specific.

I was once denied my Diamond Distance claim because, since the turn point
was covered by a thunder storm, I took a picture of a nearby (within a
mile) road intersection...

On 12/27/2019 7:40 AM, wrote:

snip
Years ago I missed out on my diamond goal by 1/8 of a mile in a low
performance machine. I made all my turnpoints, the pictures were good,
but [my O.O.] told me I was 1/8 mile short. It didn't matter that I had
probably flown an extra 20 miles that day working around areas of OD, I
was still deemed to be short lol.

BTDT - denied a badge claim for 'a technical infraction' (photos taken outside
the rules' sector) while acting as O.O. Spent more time
explaining-to/consoling applicant than was spent analyzing the photos.
'Rightly' he was mostly disappointed, as distinct from combative, hence the
commiseration. I'll bet Big Bucks he felt better after later achieving -
within the rules - that particular goal on a subsequent attempt.

I submit that anyone who deems it sufficiently important 'to the world' to
claim a flight (record or not) as 'completed within the rules' (a reasonable,
if oft-hidden assumption of Joe Casual Peruser of such flights) - when it is
NOT so completed - is a strange creature indeed...a person who can live with
himself and go to sleep with a peaceful mind knowing rules intended ONLY for
peer approval (as distinct from - say- monetary reward, etc.) were not
followed. A person comfortable lying to himself and lying to the world.
Perhaps for some...

Philosophically pondering,

Bob W.