Old February 15th 21, 07:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike Carris[_2_]

Default Your Opinion Would Be Appreciated

On Monday, February 15, 2021 at 5:44:56 AM UTC-7, wrote:
On Sunday, February 14, 2021 at 4:29:24 PM UTC-5, wrote:
I am considering making a purchase for a AGS29 pure glider, I have somewhat a good idea as to the market value of such a ship, but your feedback would be greatly appreciated.
What would you consider the market value of aa ASG29 2012 model, with a slight damage history and somewhat outdated panel to be? There is a trailer included and the description was stated to be pristine, yet there are 4 out of 5 stars on the advertised description. IMHO if the glider is pristine there should be 5 stars in the descriptive advertisement.
This glider is said to be a 400 hour ship.
Again, in gel coat, and we all know what happens at some point.
Somewhat outdated panel.
A pure glider, no sustainer.
Fabric interior and not leather.
Clear canopy and not tinted.
I all honesty, what do you think the value of this ship?

Wings and Wheels has the following guide when you actually place an ad:
Rate your aircraft Exterior on a scale of 1 to 5.
1 = Needs major work
2 = Needs some work
3 = Good condition
4 = Excellent condition
5 = Factory new condition

Based on that, only a handful of gliders currently in the US would rate a five. I've got a Discus that is almost flawless, having been hard-waxed every year. But if I had to submit an ad, I would have to rate it "4" based on the W&W system. They use the same system for rating trailers, interiors, etc. In short, "4" is GOOD.

Bob,
As far as ratings-

If it is the one in Moriarty, it is a nice glider. It may not be as pristine as the '27 you purchased, but close . Talk to Fidel he probably rated it and will give you an honest appraisal. I believe he is acting on behalf of an estate. He refinishes gliders for a living and has a fairly stringent rating system-one mans 5 is another mans 4. It was owned by a friend (Kathy Taylor) that has passed away recently and did not fly all that often. It was always stored in her hangar and I think that in the past several years it was not flown at all.

Mike