Old May 26th 21, 05:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
George Haeh

Default Replacing aging club Grobs...best options?

My club is really lucky to have a 103 with good useful load, and I am getting to really like it as a trainer.

Hint: Toss the lead batteries and replace with a single LiFePO4.

We've been having hull value discussions and I'm thinking next year we should make that enough to get a used ASK-21.

Having de/rigged Perkoz, 21 and 103, they all require considerable manpower..

The DG-1000 is a bit better because of segmented wing and you actually can derig with three. Unfortunately the Club fixed gear version has been rumored not to be amenable to held off landings. The retract versions have a considerably lower gear.

At one club the electric gear was chosen. On one early season flight the instructor was unfamiliar with the emergency gear down system and landed gear up. My suggestion that spring checkouts should include using the emergency gear down fell on deaf ears. With the manual gear, you can get gear collapses. Pick your poison.

One of the nice things about the Grob is that there's no rear spar pins that can disappear.