Old February 17th 21, 06:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike Carris[_2_]

Default USA automated panel-cutting service?

On Wednesday, February 17, 2021 at 10:50:45 AM UTC-7, Me wrote:
On Wednesday, February 17, 2021 at 6:19:03 AM UTC-8, Hank Nixon wrote:
On Wednesday, February 17, 2021 at 7:58:58 AM UTC-5, wrote:
On Tuesday, February 16, 2021 at 7:56:38 PM UTC-5, wrote:
On 1/26/2021 8:56 PM, Dave Nadler wrote:
Anybody able to recommend a USA company that can do automated panel
cutting (from CAD)? Or maybe in Canada? Fiberglass panel, typical glider
panel overall size, flat surface with uniform depth flange.
Thanks!
Thanks to Billy for recommending SendCutSend https://sendcutsend.com/
in Reno, NV - ridiculously inexpensive and very high quality from
Billy's experience.

When it comes time, what I'll do is:
1) get a steel template laser cut by these guys (from my DXF)
2) clamp it to the panel and use it as a guide to
drill all the mounting holes in a drill press.
3) remove the template, then reattach with stand-offs
4) use a small router to cut the instrument holes

Hope that helps someone, and thanks again Billy!
I'm going to chuckle all day about this one. Nice finesse by the laser shop. Possibly brilliant. They get some work, maybe open a new market, don't have to screw around with a customer's easily trashed part.

I would use sanding drums in the drill press rather than a router. Something fairly big (1/4 hole dia or larger). Clamp the guide flush for that and remove most material with a hole saw, then finish with sanding drum. Start with a fairly low speed (it won't take a lot of speed).

T8

I use a CAD plotted paper template secured to the panel with double stick tape. Then a drill press for mounting holes and creation of rough openings to within about 1/16 inch. Finish off with 1-1/2 diameter drum sander to bring to the line. Normally only a small amount of hand work to refine to finished.
It takes an afternoon to do a glass panel. There are also punches available for the common instrument sizes. They are fairly expensive but much less so than making so do it yourself CAM system. For aluminum punching is much less tedious.
UH

Anyone try an instrument hole thrust punch? https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catal...ts123chole.php Surprised no one has brought it up yet. And has anyone used one of these on fiberglass and how did it go?

Yep worked great on my Phoebus C but it was an aluminum blank.