Old February 6th 18, 11:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)

Default Hard Deck

OK, my iPad makes it a PITA to do multiple quotes, this site adds to that.

I have a 22yo son, a 20yo daughter, I also have a wife coming up on 25 years of marriage although I have known her coming up on 30 years.
I have no death wish.
What do you win in a glider worlds......a Frikkin trophy?
Sheesh, the players on the losing team at the US football super ball get what, $50K? Today, a LIFETIME of glider contests won't even pay for entry fees let alone travel, etc.

Money is not the goal here.
Group recognition is not really worth it.
It is more personal goals.

As I have stated before, "rules can't fix stupid".
I will hasten to add that the recent death of Tomas is a sad thing, not what I am talking about. No, I don't want emails slamming me about that, I have posted my feelings here on that as well as PM's and emails.

I don't know what the answer is, obviously there is an issue. Sponsors into a a sport may change peeps ideas of what is acceptable.
In a way, I sorta have an issue with this. We need to fix the underlying issue before peeps deem it required to drop the safe standards even more.
Yes, I have spoken to "problem" pilots in a US contest.
Yes, I have spoken to CD's in a US contest about "problem pilots".
Yes, I have talked to other contestants in a US contest (to see if I was wrong, right, maybe a bit too sensitive).
Has anyone else here done so???

Pretty easy to sit behind a keyboard and spout stuff but not doing anything to help fix it.

Just my $0.02...........

PS, rules don't fix stupid, regardless of why stupid happened. Sometimes things happen, look for the pattern, either in the pilot or what they may they feel to gain doing (20/20 hindsight) stupid stuff.

Nuff said.......